If you are a creative person or enjoy crafting projects, it is likely that you have tons of scrap material laying around in your yard and garage. We can’t blame you – with so many DIY projects floating around it’s easy to get in over your head! Some scrap materials can be inconvenient to dispose of, or you just don’t know what to do with them. Bricks are perfect examples of pesky DIY clutter. Take advantage of the materials you already have and get your hands dirty by repurposing those old bricks into something worthwhile! We have five solid brick repurposing ideas to help get you started!
1. BBQ Grill
Impress your guests at your next summer grill-out and show off your new handmade BBQ grill. You’ll need bricks, concrete mix or mortar, a balance and a grill set.
- Choose your grill’s location and mark measurements for even placement.
- Mix concrete or mortar to use as brick adhesive.
- Lay bricks starting at the corners first and build up to desired height.
- Install two bricks on each internal wall that will stick out to hold your grill set in place.
- Let your masterpiece set for a few days, throw in some charcoal and get grilling!
Before you get started, check out these tips for more detailed instructions on building your very own brick BBQ grill!
2. Fire Pit
Summer nights aren’t complete without a backyard fire and s’mores. Use that old heap of bricks to build something your whole family can enjoy for seasons to come!
- Choose your location and spray paint a circle to measure your pit.
- Dig out the circle about an inch into the ground with a shovel.
- Spread sand evenly inside the base for a great fire pit foundation.
- Lay bricks around the circumference of the hole and alternate the placement of each layer.
- Build up brick layers to your desired height, throw in some fire wood and ignite!
For more instruction on how to build your own fire pit, check out Our Home Sweet Home!
3. Garden Bench
Garden lovers behold – a bench perfect for your outdoor oasis that won’t break the bank! If you have time and a little elbow grease, you can make your own garden bench in one day. All you need is a pile of bricks and a flat board or slate to use as the bench seat.
- Choose your ideal location and mark measurements around the seat of your bench.
- Build two columns of brick and alternate the placement of each layer to build legs.
- Lay your seat across the legs with enough room on both sides to continue laying bricks.
- Build another layer of brick on each side of the seat to create an arm rest and you’re done!
There are many other methods to build your own outdoor bench. You can also change up your materials to create a unique design. Click here for more brick bench inspiration!
4. Garden Planters
Your old bricks can be useful in multiple places throughout your garden. Want a new creative way to pot your plants? Try repurposing your bricks into garden planters!
- Stack bricks in three layers and alternate each layer in a rectangular shape.
- Fill the new space with soil and plant your herbs or flowers.
- Try laying bricks with holes flat and planting small succulents in each hole for an accent!
It’s amazing what a little creativity and a pile of bricks can become! Check out these other amazing brick gardening ideas for more design inspiration!
5. Brick Wall Veneer
For all of you carpenters and handymen, this project is for you! Give a boring wall in your home some character with a brand new layer of brick veneer! It might require a little extra time and money, but in the end this will be the most rewarding way to repurpose your old bricks.
- Prepare your lucky wall by sanding it down and making sure it is wiped clean.
- Use a wet saw (with caution!) to cut bricks creating two long halves.
- Spread mastic or any preferred adhesive method evenly across the wall.
- Cut scrap wood into long half-inch pieces to place in-between bricks as a spacer.
- Lay bricks starting with the bottom corners while using spacers with each layer.
- Remove spacers, fill in with grouting, and enjoy your new stylish wall!
Follow these easy step-by-step instructions from DIY Network and repurpose your bricks into a beautiful faux brick wall!
We hope you have fun building your beautiful brick masterpieces! Let us know how your projects turned out and share other ways to repurpose brick in a comment below!