This Mother’s Day, don’t settle for the same gifts as everyone else! Instead, try making a personalized or hand-crafted gift that your mom will want to keep and cherish forever! Or, if you’re not the crafty type, put together a small basket or jar filled with all of her favorite things. Here are a couple great Mother’s Day gift ideas that will bring tears to your sweet mommy’s eyes. And because we really want her day to shine, we’ve also provided a delicious recipe to make for your mother-dearest!
Yes, you could always go to the card section of your local grocery store and pick out some sappy card like everyone else. Or you could go the extra mile and make something unique and fun! Here’s a quick step-by-step of an easy to make card for mom:
- Pick a theme for your card and pick up some basic supplies like paper and stickers. For our card, we chose an ocean/beach theme and bought the following supplies from the local craft store.
- First, cut your paper to the size you want your card to be. We used the measurements of an envelope we had from a previous project. Then, cut the necessary shapes out of each of your colored pieces of paper. Use fun colors and patterns to really make the card unique and stand out.
- Paste the cut-outs with glue and then set a heavy book (or something similar) on top to make sure it glues down flat. Let this dry for a few minutes.
- Add a sweet message along with some more themed details on the inside of the card and there you have it, a simple, easy to make card for your mom on her special day!
Slippers Filled with Goodies
This is a simple way to give your mom everything she wants but in a creative way. Go to your favorite department store and pick up some comfy, soft slippers then fill it with all of your mom’s favorite things! Our suggestions include her favorite makeup, a comfy workout shirt, her favorite candy or chocolate and maybe a gift card to a special store.
Delicious Raspberry Sweet Roll Recipe
We found this to-die-for recipe from Two Peas & Their Pod for a twist on the traditional cinnamon roll. If you enjoy cooking, whip up this special recipe for her on this special day!
For the dough:
2 packages yeast (4 1/2 teaspoons), dissolved in 1 cup lukewarm water
6 tablespoons shortening (Crisco)
1 cup granulated sugar
9 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups hot water
2 eggs, beaten
1 tablespoon salt
For the filling:
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
3 1/2 cups frozen raspberries
1/3 cup granulated sugar
Zest of 1 large lemon
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
For the frosting:
4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Add yeast to 1 cup of lukewarm water. Stir with a spoon and set aside for about five minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add shortening, sugar, and salt to hot water and beat for 30 seconds. Let cool to lukewarm temperature. Stir in 2 cups of flour and mix until smooth. Add yeast mixture and mix until well combined. Mix in the beaten eggs.
- Gradually stir in the remaining flour and mix with the dough hook for about 2 minutes. Remove dough from the bowl and place on a lightly floured counter. Knead by hand, add a little flour if the dough is still sticky. Knead until dough feels satiny and smooth.
- Put the dough in a greased bowl and cover with a towel. Let rise for 30 minutes or until dough doubles in size.
- Remove dough from bowl and place on a lightly floured counter. Divide dough in half. With a rolling pin, roll one half of the dough into a rectangular shape. Spread dough evenly with 4 tablespoons of softened butter. Sprinkle dough with 1/4 cup brown sugar. In a medium bowl, carefully stir together the frozen raspberries, granulated sugar, lemon zest, and cornstarch. Sprinkle half of the raspberry mixture over the dough.
- Gently roll up dough into one long roll. Cut rolls, using a piece of dental floss or thread, about two inches thick. Place rolls into a greased 9X13 baking pan.
- Now follow the exact same steps with the other half of the dough, using the remaining ingredients.
- Place rolls in a warm spot and cover with a towel. Let rolls rise until double in bulk, about an hour. Bake rolls at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for 5-7 more minutes or until golden brown. Remove pans from oven and let cool on a wire rack.
- While the rolls are cooling, make the frosting. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and lemon zest. Using electric mixer, beat until smooth. Spread frosting on rolls and serve.
Check out our Pinterest Board for some more Mother’s Day ideas!
What other great ideas do you have up your sleeve to celebrate the mothers in your life? Share with us below!